[Flashback Friday] The Journey that Narrates I-ON Communications

It’s #Flashbackfriday time!

I-ON Communications decided to flashback in time to the beginning stages of I-ON by interviewing our founder, James Oh.

 


Here’s some of the questions we asked regarding the background of I-ON:

What was the main reason for creating I-ON?

James: The reason I wanted to create I-ON was because it was my dream to start a company at a young age. I wanted to build a company that could make an impact on society. Therefore, with the help of caring people around me, I was able to challenge myself and have a strong mindset towards creating I-ON.

Running a company for 20 years is not an easy task, how did you maintain I-ON for such a long time?

James: Maintaining a company itself is definitely not an easy task and everything was a challenge because it was my first time for numerous things. However, I knew this was the dream I wanted to pursue, therefore, I studied hard and learned through my mistakes. As I-ON started to develop, I realized that it’s important to give employees the right and responsibility in the work they do. Trusting your employees is extremely important in creating a work environment that can grow together as one.


When were you most proud of establishing I-ON?

James: I felt most proud when I-ON took 1st place in Japan’s CMS market in 2005. Besides the award, I also felt pleased when I went to Nha Trang, Vietnam, with fellow employees and saw the thrilled look on their faces. It was great quality time as we all got to relax together.


After creating I-ON, what were the most difficult obstacles?

James: The most difficult obstacle was going through financial trouble as well as having small issues that kept arising. It was hard for me to let out my feelings to others when I was going through these obstacles which made it more difficult. I also found it tough during the periods of time where I-ON continued to stay in the same place and not improve.


After creating I-ON, was there a moment when you experienced failure and how did you overcome that moment?

James: There were times when we failed to create a new department with a new team however, I did not let those failures stop me. I continued to push forward and leave the past in the past which allowed me to progress through strongly.


What makes I-ON different from other software companies?

James: I believe that I-ON is a global player where we have a variety of fields such as sports and energy. Furthermore, I-ON has a different management style where we believe, trust and try first because everything is trial and error. That’s how you learn and continue onward.


What are the future goals for I-ON?

James: I-ON’s vision is to become one of the world’s top 100 software companies. Accomplishing this vision is our main goal.

I-ON encourages all of you to take time to look back at the difficult times you endured and remember how you fought through them diligently. Through these obstacles, we hope individuals and organizations have been able to grow and improve.

Comments