Considering to work in the IT industry?

To those who are considering to work in the IT industry…

My name is Yul and currently, I am working as a digital marketing intern for I-ON Communications. I am part of the International Business team and in charge of all our social media pages. My role here is to promote and market our three core software solutions with an in-depth understanding of each product.

Growing up, the only technology I was interested in was my new iPod touch I had received in 7th grade. The only “IT” I knew about was Apple products and MSN Messenger. I knew some of my classmates were fascinated by the latest software programs or products, however, I never found any of those newest technologies interesting.

As time flew by, I became a senior in university and decided that it was time to explore and experience numerous different sectors. Not once had I considered the IT field, however, I thought perhaps, a digital marketing role would make it a little more doable. The reason for this is because I thought I didn’t have enough knowledge to be a part of the IT community. I lacked knowledge in technological terms and concepts. However, I knew that IT was an ongoing, continuously-growing field in which I wanted to contribute.



I found it quite surprising that I would end up being in the IT sector but I pushed myself to explore this field and found myself having an extremely positive outlook towards this experience.

During the two months of working at I-ON Communications, I realized how much I was missing out on. The potential of IT becoming one of the top markets sparked my curiosity in learning more about this field. I was intrigued with every update of IT information that came out on the news because I developed a passion to market our IT solutions efficiently. Therefore, I participated in marketing I-ON’s solutions at the World IT Show 2021 which gave me more insight and experience. Not only devices such as my iPod touch were valid to me anymore. I wanted to develop a better understanding of software which is what I-ON specializes in. However, no matter how much passion I had developed, becoming an expert in IT was not the reality. I still have my daily struggles of grasping the details of certain solutions or methods in the software I-ON offers. Nevertheless, I realized this is a necessary obstacle and trying my best without giving up is the only way in achieving expertise.




Furthermore, the working environment in the IT industry is relaxed and allows more freedom because developers need that individual time to reflect and create. This atmosphere really helped me brainstorm ideas without any pressure and stress. I-ON Communications offers exceptional options in this regard where we have a whole cafeteria for workers to relax, enjoy unlimited ramen, beer and wine as well as receive massages. Personally, my favorite part of I-ON is not only their liberal work culture but also the people here. Even though I did not have sufficient IT knowledge, I was able to learn quickly because of supportive and positive teammates. I was able to fully express myself because I was surrounded by those who pushed me whenever I felt unconfident with my abilities and those who gave me constructive criticism instead of condescending feedback.

All in all, what I want to tell others is that it’s always important to get out of your comfort zone and explore. So for those who are considering the IT industry, I highly recommend you to give yourself a push and go for it. Especially in our society today, IT is an industry our world cannot live without anymore. Become someone who can make an impact to this because it will grow tremendously the more our generation evolves.


Comments